The latest ONS statistics have just been released, revealing an alarming rise in NEET young people:
- A 13% year-on-year rise in young people who are not earning or learning risks long-term scarring
effects – figures have risen to 788,000. NEET figures haven’t been this high since December 2020.
- 62% NEET are inactive (not in work and not looking/unable to work) and 39% are unemployed.
- Rising mental ill health is harming their labour market prospects and access to good quality work;
two out of three young people who are economically inactive also have a common mental health
- The cost-of-living crisis is also hitting those who faced existing challenges. Action is needed now to
prevent the long-term scarring effects of being locked out of the labour market.
- The report suggests we need join up a fragmented employment support system.
Read more here.